Monday, April 23, 2012

Fly into SB or drive from O'Hare in November?

I%26#39;m from Phoenix, trying to plan a campus visit for November, a football wkend, for High School daughter %26#39;s invite to visit ND%26#39;s athletic program, and I was worried about flights, until I saw room rates! It%26#39;s an extra $200 to fly straight into SB and save the hassle of driving from O%26#39;Hare, probably during rush hour traffic. I will still have to rent a car in SB more than likely. It%26#39;s been many years since I%26#39;ve driven that area, and if it snows, forget about it! I may have already answered my question...I will also look into the bus service from O%26#39;Hare. Also any tips on where to stay, esp a close in inn or B%26amp;B within a reasonable distance of campus would be helpful!

Fly into SB or drive from O'Hare in November?

I would fly into South Bend, just for the fact that O%26#39;Hare is massive, but not many airlines fly into SB and I%26#39;m not exactly sure which ones do. The SB airport also has bus and train service so you wouldn%26#39;t exactly have to rent a car if you didn%26#39;t want to. I%26#39;m really not sure of hotels there though, just for the fact I only live an hour away form SB so I wouldn%26#39;t have to stay overnight. You would also have to drive on the Toll Road too if you drove from O%26#39;Hare so you have the final call, but I would fly into SB

Fly into SB or drive from O'Hare in November?

Have you looked into flying into Indianapolis? You might get a better deal than flying directly to SB and although the drive is a couple of hours, it%26#39;s a much easier (less stressful) one than driving from Chicago.


Okay, I checked Mapquest and driving from O%26#39;hare to SB is 2 hrs, driving from Indianapolis Airport is about 2 hours and 45 minutes. For the random date I chose since I don%26#39;t know when in November you%26#39;re coming, Expedia showed $178 from Phoenix to Indy and $188 from Phoenix to O%26#39;hare. South Bend was $279. I noticed you said ';a football weekend'; so I%26#39;m guessing your real rates will be higher.

On a football weekend, I%26#39;m sure there will be a lot of traffic even up from Indy, but I still think it would be much better than driving from Chicago.

If you still want to fly into O%26#39;hare, you might look into the South Shore Line (the commuter rail system that runs from a stop by Millennium Park in Chicago to SB. You would have to take another train or cab from O%26#39;hare to that station. http://www.nictd.com/

http://www.transitchicago.com/


Was that your daughter%26#39;s idea to come during a football weekend? Evaluate your $$$ options, and the direct flight may be best. You have a good 100 mile drive to SB. Connections to that train would drive any stranger nuts. There is also a bus, Coach USA, probably a 3 1/2 hr ride, maybe $45 pp. SB does switch you to EST. No connections to Midway? Slightly closer, but still Chicago. There may be limited options to Gary Regional airport (Indiana). Cannot comment on lodging. Good luck.


Thanks all for the quick response, it really makes one feel like you are part of a bigger community when other people look up fares for you!! Expedia does seem to have better prices for the airfares. The Indianapolis idea is one I wouldn%26#39;t have thought of...much less stressful, I%26#39;m sure. I%26#39;ll look into that and the bus from OHare, or just do the $$flight into SB - flights go thru OHare or through Cincinnati to SB ...and just chalk it up to all the other sport costs ... the coaches evidently feel that a football wkend gives the kids a sense of the campus and school spirit for sports, never mind that hotels skyrocket and are mostly sold out! Will keep you posted as to what shakes out!


You%26#39;re welcome DesertLax! My niece is in the middle of doing her college visits right now, so I know there is a lot to think about. I look forward to hearing how it works out!

Lily


If you%26#39;re considering Indianapolis, you might also want to check flight costs into Toledo, OH, and rent a car to drive from there. It%26#39;s a couple hours from SB. I%26#39;ve driven to Chicago via Toledo and the Indiana Turnpike, and it is a very easy drive, not too much traffic. It would definitely be preferable to fighting Chicago traffic (and I%26#39;m anti-O%26#39;Hare at the moment due to yet another four hour delay there last week. Grr...)

I%26#39;ve never flown into the Toledo Airport, but I have picked people up there before. It%26#39;s pretty small, and is well west of the city, so towards Indiana.


I will look into the Toledo, Ohio idea for future reference....IF my daughter gets the chance to look into ND further! We finally are going to fly into O%26#39;Hare and take the coach bus into SB....it%26#39;s 1/2 the price of flying directly into SB...hopefully this will not be the trip from hell...it%26#39;s going to be an adventure, right?! I booked thru Expedia, which is really a pain, but got a latter flight for my hubby thru farechase.yahoo.com for same airline(AA) and it was cheaper and easier. Thanks for advice.


Keep that mind-set..........an adventure is more fun. It allows for the smiles and laughter to appear under unusual circumstances. You%26#39;ll like the bus, no driving in any conditions or traffic. I ';think'; there is an airport McDonald%26#39;s right at the bus pickup point. Easy to grab a munchie after your free bag of flight peanuts. Remember that time change for the return ride.

Bring us a few days of warmth, and we%26#39;ll try to hold off on the snow. But you%26#39;ll think 40 is like the North Pole. Have fun, look %26amp; learn. We%26#39;ll be looking for some entertaining posts from your Indiana expedition. And good luck if you make it to the ';Golden Dome';.


I wish I had read this post earlier. My daughter is a student at ND. She travels on Sothwest Airlines to and from Chicago Midway and the Coach USA bus to and from ND. We use a Southwest Airlines Visa for most purchases so we are able to pick up a free ticket occasionally. I hope that your daughter enjoyed her visit to ND. We love it!!

  • good for enlarged pores
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment