Monday, April 23, 2012

What to do with kids in NW Indiana in winter

Hello everyone,





I grew up in Lake Station and my kids are old enough now that I want to show them my hometown area. We%26#39;re visiting from Munich over Christmas and staying at the Country Inn in Portage. I plan on taking them into Chicago with the South Shore, but would like some alternative plans in case the weather takes a turn for the worse.





I don%26#39;t really need anything spectacular, but rather things like the best bowling, movie theaters, etc. When I was living there we used to go to Southlake Mall for the afternoon, but I%26#39;ve heard that it%26#39;s not what it used to be.





I%26#39;d appreciate any suggestions, since we only have 10 days, and I don%26#39;t want to waste any of them.





Sincerely,







Barbara Wissinger



What to do with kids in NW Indiana in winter


This website might have some good ideas for you:





http://www.northwestindiana.com/kids.htm



What to do with kids in NW Indiana in winter


Southlake mall isn%26#39;t bad, they%26#39;re changing a lot of the stores there now, but it%26#39;s not bad. The Portage 9 theater has an IMAX screen now. There are also a lot of theaters near the mall. Right off of 80/94 in Portage is the Bass Pro Shop which seems to be a tourist attraction! Also right at that exit is the Quaker Steak and Lube which is a fun place to eat. At Deep River Water Park in the winter they have ice skating. I%26#39;ll have more suggestions as the time gets closer and we know the weather will be like.




Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I looked at the website, which gave me some ideas, and I didn%26#39;t realize that there was iceskating in the area.





I don%26#39;t plan on bringing snowpants, etc. with me, but would buy them at Target or Meijer%26#39;s if there is a lot of snow. So I am open to all suggestions, since I would also be willing to pick up a cheap sled and other winter toys.





Barbara





PS: we have to switch planes in Cincinnati. Does anyone know how the international terminal there is?




I actually do know about the Cincinnati airport. I used to live there so I flew out of Cincinnati quite a few times. It%26#39;s a nice airport--not too big, not too small. It%26#39;s a Delta hub, so the Delta terminal is the largest part of the airport.





Here%26#39;s a link to their website:





http://www.cvgairport.com/





I hope this helps!





Lily




Thanks again for the website information. We are flying Delta, and that%26#39;s why we have to switch in Cincinnati. If I%26#39;d been smart, I%26#39;d have booked a connecting flight into South Bend rather than O%26#39;hare. It would probably have gotten me to Portage sooner.





Barbara




Guten Morgan,





Another idea for shopping is the Outlet Mall in Michigan City. It%26#39;s outdoors, but if weather is bad, could run from store to store. There is also an antique car museum in Michigan City, too if anyone is into that type of thing.





Chicago will be fun, too.





Enjoy your trip back home and sharing it with your family!




Another Website is LaPorte County Convention and Visitors Bureau and go to their Rainy Day site. Many fun ideas!!!




I want to thank everyone again for the help! My children are getting excited about our trip now that they can make decisions about what they want to see. Right now the debate is about whether we will go to Science and Industry or the Field Museum, because I%26#39;m only going into Chicago once.





Michigan City is on my short list of places to visit. I looked at their website, and the military museum has gotten my son%26#39;s attention, so he%26#39;ll even agree to go shopping with us if he gets to go there.





My son also has his heart set on going to Moline to see the John Deere museums there, but I%26#39;d rather not go so far in winter. Does anyone know of a John Deere dealer closer to home? One where they don%26#39;t mind children getting up close and personal with the tractors?





I hope you all enjoy the holiday tomorrow, and think of us poor souls who have to work!!





Barbara




If you go to Lincoln Park Zoo in the city, they have a farm with a big tractor the kids can climb on. The zoo will be pretty dead in the winter, but there%26#39;s parking right outside the farm. Between the Museums, I think Science and Industry is a lot more fun, unless you want to see the dinosaurs. Another thing in Indiana, if you take 65 south to the Winimac exit there%26#39;s Fair Oaks Farms. It%26#39;s an interactive dairy farm. You can take a tour and see how it all works, see a calf being born, sample cheese. It%26#39;s only a little over 30 min from Portage.




I%26#39;ll keep the zoo in mind, if it%26#39;s not too cold. My kids like going to the zoo, but I was hoping that we would spend our time in the States doing things that we can%26#39;t do here. That%26#39;s why I posted here. I%26#39;m not really looking for the best museums or art galleries, but rather places where parents take their kids on a normal weekend, even if it doesn%26#39;t sound exciting.







Barbara







PS: my kids are 9 and 6 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment